Monday, March 12, 2012

Sunlit Eyes

Because it feels like summer.
And I crave..
chalk drawings, outside sleepovers, bike rides, and windows down in the car while i'm driving to the grocery store to pick up strawberries for the 4th of July picnic. 
I smell the grass under my head and mango syrup on my snow cone.
I remember dancing to Demi Lovato on the front lawn and making music videos that would be ridiculed if they were ever viewed in public. 
I miss jumping on the tramp. Learning back flips.
I hear the neighbor kids flirting and hear teenagers plan road trips.
I know that every summer,
 I'll watch too many movies about summer romances and secretly want one myself,
I'll lay out and get burned,
I'll dream of the beach,
I'll spend too many days sleeping and mowing the lawn,
I'll wear white eyelet sundresses and buy 3 pairs of sunglasses,
I'll dream about my future and the summers to come.
Until then,
I have march...not even worth capitalizing the m. 
and march madness (very small sarcastic "yay")
and Hunger Games (which is too glorious to be talked about)
but,
 none of this compares to coral nail polish and hot summer days.
hm..patiently waiting

7 comments:

  1. I agree, I feel like this nice weather is taunting us, begging us to skip class and spend the day riding bicycles. You really captured the essence of summer. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post snuck up on me. It's my favorite now (I'm an extremist...today was the worst day ever, the best day ever...but still).

    I love the opening sentence: Because it feels like summer.

    Not:

    Because it feels like summer, I'm going to the beach.

    Or:

    I'm going to the beach because it feels like summer.

    Just:

    Because it feels like summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hooked from the beginning. As Nelson has already stated: because it feels like summer (freaking awesome line)! And I absolutely love the rest, it's seems very random like your just following your train of thought on paper, but it's still very organized. Great post . . . makes me Crave summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Created the perfect visual for summer. Its going to torture me until it arrives now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am ready for summer too! I am so done with stupid Utah and it's "Winter" this year. Babyoil and popsicles here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that every summer,
    I'll watch too many movies about summer romances and secretly want one myself,

    wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could feel the weather change around me as I kept reading.

    Neutral weather with a slight breeze, sky clear as glass and the sun a floating disk in the sky to bring me warmth.

    Thank you. I love winter, but I forgot how much I miss summer.

    ReplyDelete